Mansfield Dam Road (Formerly TX Ranch to Market Road 620)
Mansfield Dam Road was formerly designated TX Ranch to Market Road 620 and is located in Travis County, Texas west of Austin. The highway crosses the Colorado River via the Mansfield Dam.
In 1936, Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA) and the United States Bureau of Reclamation chose a site 20 miles upstream from Austin for a primary flood control dam for the river.1 The construction contract was awarded to the Brown & Root company and a groundbreaking ceremony was held on February 19, 1937 in the wild and remote ranch lands of central Texas. By January 1941, the generators went into operation at the hydroelectric plant that was a part of the project and the dam was finished in May 1942.1
In 1995, the Mansfield Dam crossing was bypassed with a four-lane alignment to the south. After September 11, 2001, all traffic was restricted on the dam; it is now open only to service vehicles.