Marble Falls Bridge (US 281)
The former Marble Falls, Texas bridge over the Colorado River carries US 281 and was constructed in 1936.
A bridge was first constructed at this location in 1891 but was destroyed in a flood in June 1935.8 A ferry operated across the river until a cantilever deck truss was constructed in 1936. It was rehabilitated in 1975.
Planning for a replacement span over the Colorado River was first discussed in 2005 when the Texas Department of Transportation began planning in conjunction with the city of Marble Hills.6 The replacement crossing was designed by FINLEY Engineering Group for Archer-Western Contractors of Arlington.4
The replacement bridge design was finalized as a three-span variable depth cast-in-place segmental bridge, with spans of 274-feet, 410-feet and 274-feet with a deck width of 47-feet.1 3 The box depth would vary from 24-feet at the interior piers to 6-foot, 6-inches at the end spans.
In November 2009, funding for the $30.1 million project was secured and ground was broken on October 25, 2010.4 Construction began in November.2 Work progressed via a balanced cantilever construction method with the end spans constructed on falsework.7
The first bridge was finished in the fall of 2012 as part of phase one and was used for two-way traffic while the old cantilever was dismembered.7 An identical bridge of phase one was constructed in its place and was completed in 2014 at a total cost of $28.6 million.5