Moscow Covered Bridge
The Moscow Covered Bridge carries CR 900S over the Flatrock River in Moscow, Indiana. Constructed in 1886 by Emmet L. Kennedy, the two-span Burr Arch truss was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
It was the longest covered bridge ever constructed in the county, and the largest Kennedy-built bridge in the state.3 It is notable because weight and other factors prevented the construction of a Burr Arch longer than 155 feet, which would have made the two-span design just 20 feet short. To remedy this, Kennedy engineered a 10-foot Queenpost truss in the middle of each arch.
The Moscow span was restored in 1982 and 1999.3 A F3 tornado did considerable damage to the crossing on the evening of June 3, 2008 and was rebuilt with new and salvaged materials by Dan Collom & Sons of Bridgeton.1 2 Engineering was completed by the J.A. Barker Engineering firm of Bloomington.1 The new Moscow Covered Bridge was dedicated on September 25, 2010.1 2
The covered span is noted in memory of Charles B. Grubbs (September 17, 1901 – May 15, 1955) who fell from the bridge while supervising the replacement of the floor on May 13, 1955. He succumbed to his injuries two days after.1