Broadway Bridge (Old US 127 & US 421)
The Broadway Bridge formerly carried US 127 and US 421 over the Kentucky River in Frankfort, Kentucky. It is the fourth bridge at that location.2
The first crossing across the river at that location was a circa 1850 covered bridge, which was burned during the Civil War by General John Hunt Morgan in 1862 to halt transportation of goods by rail.2 The crossing was used as a combination railroad, horse-and-buggy and pedestrian crossing
In 1864, a replacement covered bridge was completed but was washed away in a flood.2 An iron Fink truss was completed in 1868 and replaced in 1910 with a pin-connected Baltimore Petit through-truss with deck plate girder approaches.
A separate railroad bridge was constructed by the American Bridge Company of New York for the Louisville & Nashville Railroad in 1929.2
The Broadway Bridge was bypassed in 1989 when twin girder bridges were constructed downstream to carry US 421 on a new four-lane alignment.1 Due to deteriorating superstructure and substructure, the Broadway Bridge was closed to automobile traffic in 1992.1