The Cabin Creek Covered Bridge is a historic crossing in Lewis County, Kentucky east of Maysville, Kentucky. Constructed in 1873 by William Henderson,8 the single-span Burr truss covered bridge was also known as the Rectorville Bridge or the Mackey-Hughes Bridge.1 2 Henderson was later buried next to the covered span.8 In 1912, arches and tension rods were added by the Bower Bridge Company followed by a structural repairs in 1964.5 A structural steel buttress was added in 1978.3
In 1983, the bridge was supplemented with a modern concrete crossing, and the covered bridge was subsequently closed to vehicular traffic.1 2 8 Flood damage in the spring of 2008 damaged the covered bridge including the steel buttress 5 that resulted in the prohibition of pedestrian traffic in July.6
The National Historic Covered Bridge Preservation Program awarded $500,000 for the stabilization and restoration of the Cabin Creek bridge in 2008,5 and approximately half of the funding was used to stabilize the bridge in the spring of 2009 with a steel reinforcement system that had been used for the Johnson Creek Covered Bridge in Robertson County.1 4 The remaining money was to be used for restoration, which has been estimated to cost a total of $1 million. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC), the Department of Parks and the Heritage Council have worked to secure funding for complete restoration and on August 12, 2009, the KYTC awarded an additional $740,525 towards the restoration.7 By September 2010, the allocation level had approached $1 million.1 While there was a design bid contract for the project, it needed to be a design-build contract and the change needed to be made with the Transportation Cabinet.
The project bid was awarded to Arnold M. Graton, LLC, who had constructed 15 new structures and restored 50 to 60 bridges.8 The total cost of the restoration is $1.2 million.
- Designation: Non-applicable
- Type: Burr truss covered
- Total length: 114 feet
- Number of lanes: 1
- Maynard, Misty. “‘Hope springs eternal’ for Cabin Creek Covered Bridge.” Ledger Independent [Maysville] 24 Jan. 2011: n. pag. Web. 8 July 2011.
- “Cabin Creek Bridge .” Kentucky Atlas and Gazetter. University of Kentucky, n.d. Web. 8 July 2011.
- “Cabin Creek Bridge.” Bridge Hunter. Web. 8 July 2011.
- Charles, Melinda. “‘Cabin Creek bridge restoration to resume.” Ledger Independent [Maysville] 4 June 2010: n. pag. Web. 8 July 2011.
- Arthur, Michael. “‘Cabin Creek bridge restoration on hiatus.” Ledger Independent [Maysville] 22 Apr. 2009: n. pag. Web. 8 July 2011.
- Arthur, Michael. “‘Cabin Creek bridge getting support from Johnson Creek project.” Ledger Independent [Maysville] 18 Nov. 2008: n. pag. Web. 8 July 2011.
- Stambaugh, Carrie. “$1.2M in grants marked for area.” Independent [Ashland] 15 Aug. 2009: n. pag. Web. 13 Aug. 2013.
- Hoots, Christy. “Arnold Graton to restore Cabin Creek Bridge.” Ledger Independent [Maysville] 11 Sept. 2012: n. pag. Web. 13 Aug. 2013.