Camp Nelson Bridge (Old US 27)
The Camp Nelson Bridge formerly carried US 27 over the Kentucky River in Camp Nelson, Kentucky.
The first crossing across the river was a covered span designed in 1838 by Lewis V. Wernwag.1 Regarded as one of the longest of its type in the world, the bridge was a major artery between the Union and the Confederates during the Civil War, with Camp Nelson playing a crucial role in defending the Union during the conflict.
A truss bridge was completed in 1926 and the covered bridge was condemned. It was demolished in 1933.
In 1971, a new four-lane bridge bypassed the truss altogether on a new alignment.