Greenup Bridge (Old US 23)
The Greenup Bridge formerly carried US 23 over the Little Sandy River in Greenup, Kentucky. The one-lane Pratt through truss 6 was constructed in 1884 by the King Iron Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio.5 6 The crossing was rehabilitated in 1954 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.6 It was bypassed in 1952 when US 23 was placed on a new alignment; the Greenup Bridge was re-designated KY 2541.
The Greenup Bridge was closed in September 2003 due to structural concerns. It was slated for removal in January 2004,2 but the process was halted due to objections from area residents.3 It was known that the Greenup Bridge was one of the oldest King Bridge Company crossings and the second longest multi-span, pin-connected truss bridges in the state.6
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet offered three replacement alternatives, including a no-build option. One option would replace the crossing with a two-lane concrete bridge at a cost of $2 million and reconstruct Washington Street from US 23 to downtown Greenup at a cost of $1.4 million.1 Several residents advocated that the bridge be converted into a pedestrian only facility.2
In September 2011, American Contracting and Services was awarded a $4.7 million contract to demolish the Greenup Bridge and replace it with a two-lane concrete bridge.4