Heidelberg Bridge (RNI&B)
The Heidelberg Bridge carried a branch of the Richmond, Nicholasville, Irvine and Beattyville Railroad (RNI&B, Riney-B) over the Kentucky River in Heidelberg, Kentucky.
A branch of the RNI&B’s mainline was constructed by the Kentucky Coal Development Company from Heidelberg to Ida May via Sturgeon Creek.1 The 2.98-mile Sturgeon Creek Branch was built from March 1907 to January 1908. Eventually becoming a part of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad, the Sturgeon Creek branch provided a connection to the Kentucky, Rockcastle & Cumberland Railroad but a lack of traffic caused it to be discontinued on April 13, 1935.
The crossing was converted for automobile use until a new structure was constructed in 1968.