The Bridgeport Bridge carries pedestrians and cyclists over the Cass River in Bridgeport, Michigan. Formerly carrying State Street, the Pratt through truss was built in 1906 by the Joliet Bridge & Iron Company of Joliet, Illinois. It cost $7,995 and was paid off with tolls by 1913. 3
The crossing was closed to automobiles in 1976, although it remained open to pedestrians into the 1990’s. 2
The bridge underwent restoration beginning in January 2010. 1 The $2.3 million project was funded from a $1.5 million federal Transportation Enhancement Program grant, $430,000 in state transportation funds, $350,000 in funds from Bridgeport Township’s Downtown Development Authority, and $100,000 from Bridgeport Township. 2
Work involved dismantling the structure, shipping it to Bach Ornamental and Structural Steel for refurbishment, and sending it back to be reassembled on site. 1 A pier was also rebuilt, which was rotating and in danger of collapsing the superstructure.
As of 2016, it is one of six surviving late 19th century and early 20th century multi-span through truss highway bridges remaining in the state. 1 It is one of two examples in the state manufactured by the Joliet Bridge and Iron Company.