The Aetnaville Bridge crosses the west channel of the Ohio River between the former village of Aetnaville in Bridgeport, Ohio and Wheeling Island in Wheeling, West Virginia.
Constructed in 1890 to 1891 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio, the crossing consists of seven pin-connected Pennsylvania through trusses supported with sandstone piers.1 The bridge was used by the Wheeling Railway Company to run interurbans between Wheeling and Bridgeport.4 The interurban was later reorganized as the Wheeling Traction Company and service expanded numerous satellite cities both in West Virginia and Ohio. In 1937, all interurban service ceased in the region and replacement buses were used to ferry people between the cities. The Aetnaville Bridge was converted for automobile use.
In 1969, the western three trusses were removed and reconstructed with steel girders when the OH 7 freeway was completed through Bridgeport. The Aetnaville Bridge was closed to automobile traffic in December 1988.
The West Virginia Department of Transportation considered having the Aetnaville Bridge demolished in May 2015 3 but opted for an inspection in October instead. On January 20, 2016, the Aetnaville Bridge was closed to pedestrians after the inspection revealed severe structural issues.2