The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) Bridge No. 463 is a jackknife through truss bascule bridge over the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland, Ohio.
The original B&O bridge, No. 403, 1 was a Scherzer rolling lift through truss bascule bridge with a main span of 161 feet. 4 It was constructed by the Cleveland & Valley Railroad (C&V), organized in 1871 to extend rail by the way of Akron to the north end of the Ohio & Erie Canal at Lake Erie. 3 The C&V went bankrupt in 1880 and reorganized in 1894 as the Cleveland Terminal & Valley Railroad (CT&V). The B&O purchased the CT&V in 1909.
Bridge No. 403 was replaced with a jackknife through truss bascule bridge by the American Bridge Company in 1956, becoming Bridge No. 463. 2 4 It featured a main span of 255 feet with a clear channel distance of 231 feet. 4
The abandoned bridge, left in the raised position, was lit in 1996 as part of Cleveland’s bicentennial project. 2