The McClellan Covered Bridge crosses the West Fork of the Little Beaver Creek on McClellan Road in Columbiana County, Ohio. It was restored in 2016-17.
The covered multiple Kingpost through truss was constructed in 1871 along McClellan Road, which once connected Wayne Bridge and Trinity Church roads. 1 The road was abandoned in the 20th century and the bridge was neglected to the point that in 2015, a steel beam was run across the length of sagging roof of the bridge to prevent it from collapsing.
A contract to restore the neglected bridge was awarded to the McCoy Construction Company of Calcutta for $280,494 in February 2016. 1 The project was coordinated by county engineer Bert Dawson 1 and assisted by retired Ashtabula County engineer John Smolen. 2 The county obtained $400,000 from the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Historic Covered Bridge Preservation Program and $100,000 from the Ohio Public Works Program towards the endeavor. Work included:
- Raising the bridge one foot.
- Constructing one new stone abutment and rebuilding the other.
- Rehabilitating or replacing fire-retarded wood siding and flooring.
The restored McClellan Covered Bridge reopened to pedestrians in early 2017.