The Avis Bridge in Hinton formerly carried West Virginia State Route 107 over the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad.
The Norfolk Western Railroad Bluestone Branch crossing over the Bluestone River is a simple two span pony plate girder bridge in Bramwell. The Bluestone Branch was a 17-mile line that extended from Bluestone to Giatto, although the last regular service operated over the rails in 1984 when the last coal train left McComas via the Crane Creek Branch. The last train operated west of Coopers in 1996 when Norfolk Southern, the successor to the NW, delivered several cars to Bramwell for display at a rebuilt depot.
The Buckeye Station Road Bridge carries West Virginia Secondary Route 219/15 over the Greenbrier River in Buckeye Station. Constructed in 1909 by the Ferris Bridge Company, the Pratt through truss is slated for replacement.
The Calispell Ridge Road Bridge carries Calispell Ridge Road/County Route 58 over Thirteenmile Creek. The six-panel Pratt through truss was constructed in 1904.
The Cane Hill Road Bridge that carries Cane Hill Road/County Route 11/1 over Eighteenmile Creek. The six-panel Pratt through truss was constructed in 1925.
The Charles C. Rogers Bridge, located along West Virginia State Route 16, is in the vicinity of Cotton Hill and crosses the New River.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad features a crossing over the Kanawha River west of downtown Charleston that is abandoned, although it could be converted into a rail-to-trail project.
The Cheat Lake crossing for Interstate 68 was constructed in 1976, and is a cantilevered Warren deck truss.
The Dunbar Toll Bridge carries Kanawha County Route 25/47 over the Kanawha River, connecting Dunbar to South Charleston.
The East Fork Greenbrier River Bridge carries West Virginia Route 250/2 over the East Fork Greenbrier River in Durbin and was constructed in 1895.
The Fayette Station Bridge crosses New River, connecting the towns of Fayette and South Fayette. The truss span was constructed in 1889 that replaced a ferry, connecting two burgeoning coal-mining communities founded in 1873 along the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad.
The Fort Hill Bridge carries Interstate 64 and U.S. Route 119 over the Kanawha River in Charleston. It connects U.S. Route 119′s interchange at milepost 58 to Virginia and Quarrier Street East. The span, the most heavily traveled in the state with a daily crossing average of 100,000, is also known as the Oakwood Bridge and Eugene A. Carter Memorial Bridge.
Located along Randolph County Route 29 between Gandy and Whitmer, this simple Pratt truss crosses Gandy Creek and connects the state maintained highway to a farm. It was built in 1900 by the Canton Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio, and is remarkable for its wooden bridge deck and log substructure.
The Grant Street Bridge is located on Grant Street in Bluefield and crosses the Norfolk Southern Railroad Bluefield Yard. The two Warren trusses were completed in 1941 by the Virginia Bridge Company of Roanoke, Virginia.
Ice’s Ferry Bridge was a four-span through truss bridge over Cheat Lake in Cheat Lake.
The Kanawha Falls Bridge is located on Fayette County Route 13 and crosses the Kanawha River just downstream of Kanawha Falls. The bridge, constructed in 1929 for the Kanawha Falls Bridge Company, connects U.S. Route 60 to Boonesborough.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Bridge, connecting Point Pleasant and Henderson over the Kanawha River, was built for the Ohio River Railroad (OR). In 1947, the original OR bridge was replaced with a parker camelback truss by the OR’s successor, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.
The Kate Hewltt Bridge carries Mercer County Route 20/20 over the Bluestone River in Bramwell. Constructed in 1915, the two span pony truss was recently rehabilitated and designated a historic crossing.
The Koontz Bridge is located in Fayette County over the Gauley River, and served the Nicholas, Fayette & Greenbrier Railroad.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad’s Little Kanawha River Bridge was Parkersburg’s second railroad span. Work began on the 300-foot truss in 1883 and was completed in 1887.
The Locust Creek Bridge carries West Virginia Secondary Route 20 over Locust Creek in Pocahontas County. Constructed in 1921 by Withrow McClintic, the arch bridge is in the process of being replaced.
The Locust Creek Covered Bridge crosses Locust Creek in Pocahontas County and was recently restored.
The Locust Road Bridge carries Locust Road/County Route 66 over Thirteenmile Creek. The six-panel Pratt through truss was constructed in 1900.
The Martha Truss Bridge carried Martha Road over the Guyandotte River in Martha.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad Hawks Nest Subdivision bridge over Mill Creek near Ansted was completed in 1874 as a wooden truss. The span was rebuilt in 1899.
The Milton Covered Bridge is the only remaining span of its type in Cabell County and is also the only example of a Howe Truss in the state.
The Milton Truss Bridge is located in Milton and carried a former alignment of U.S. Route 60.
The Chesapeake & Ohio Piney Creek Subdivision Bridge spans New River at Prince.
The RJ Corman Bridge at Thurmond spans the New River. The New River Bridge Company began construction of a triple-span iron truss upon stone piers in 1888. The span became part of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad’s Loup Creek branch and still serves traffic today.
The New River Gorge Bridge carries U.S. Route 19 over the New River northeast of Fayetteville. It is the largest arch bridge in the Western Hemisphere and the second highest crossing in the United States.
The Nuttallburg Bridge once spanned the New River at Nuttallburg, a former coal mining complex and town located in the New River Gorge National River. The pedestrian bridge was constructed by the Roebling Bridge Company in 1899 and abandoned by the 1960s.
The Ona Bridge carried West Virginia Cabell County Route 17 over the Mud River in Ona.
The Patrick Street Bridge carries U.S. Route 60 over the Kanawha River, connecting MacCorkle Avenue S.W. to the West End of Charleston.
The Phillipi Covered Bridge carries U.S. Route 250 across the Tygart River in Phillipi. Designed by Lemuel Chenoweth in 1852, it is one of the oldest and most prominent covered spans in the United States.
The Point Pleasant-Henderson Bridge is a four-lane continuous through truss that crosses the Kanawha River near the mouth with the Ohio River, and is designated West Virginia State Route 2. It connects Point Pleasant and Henderson.
The River Road Bridge carries West Virginia Route 250/2 over the East Fork Greenbrier River in Durbin.
Sharp’s Kissing Bridge is located over Big Spring Fork of Elk River in Slaty Fork and was constructed by Ken Gibson in 2005. The covered multiple kingpost truss on steel deck beam is dedicated to Dave Sharp.
The Shavers Fork Bridge carries West Virginia Route 250/4 over Shavers Fork at Cheat Bridge and was constructed in 1912 by the Canton Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio.
The Shavers Fork Bridge carries U.S. Route 250 and West Virginia Route 92 over Shavers Fork at Cheat Bridge. The crossing was fabricated by the Pittsburgh Des Moines Steel Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and was erected by Monty Brothers of Charleston in 1934.
The West Virginia Central and Pittsburg Railway Shavers Fork Bridge is located in Parsons and was originally completed for the West Virginia Central and Pittsburg Railway in 1888. In 2011, the bridge was reopened for use as a rail-to-trail.
The South Charleston Interstate Bridge for Interstate 64 eastbound connects Dunbar and South Charleston.
The South Charleston Interstate Bridge for Interstate 64 connects Dunbar and South Charleston. Crossing the Kanawha River, it was the largest steel-girder bridge in the United States when it was built in 1974.
The South Side Bridge crosses the Kanawha River and connects Creel Avenue (and MacCorkle Avenue) to Virginia Street in Charleston.
The Thomas Buford Pugh Memorial Bridge is a two-lane, three-span through-truss that carries West Virginia Route 41 over the New River. The Parker through truss was constructed in 1931.
The Tygart Valley River Bridge carries West Virginia Secondary Route 37 over the Tygart Valley River south of Valley Bend. Constructed in 1900 by the Canton Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio, the Pratt through truss was rehabilitated in 1993.
The US 219 and WV 55 Overpass carried Western Maryland Railroad and CSX over U.S. Route 219 and West Virginia Route 55 north of Slaty Fork. The pony plate girder was built in 1904 by the American Bridge Company of New York.
The Virginian Railroad overpass is located on West Virginia Route 61 in Fayette County and was constructed originally for the Virginian Railroad in 1930. The steel stringer overpass is now used by Norfolk Southern.
The Winfield Toll Bridge carries West Virginia Route 34 over the Kanawha River between Winfield and Red House. The cantilevered Warren through truss was constructed in 1955 as a tolled facility and restored three years ago. The Winfield crossing was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.
Two spans carry Interstates 64 and 77, part of the West Virginia Turnpike, in Charleston near the Kanawha City neighborhood over the Kanawha River.
The Yon-Peraldo Memorial Bridge carries Mercer County Route 20/5 across the Bluestone River in Bramwell. Constructed in 1930, the bridge consists of two Warren pony trusses.