The Graysville Bridge is a closed crossing over Fish Creek on Woodland-Graysville Road (CR 27) in Marshall County, West Virginia. The Whipple through truss was constructed in 1882 1 by the Wrought Iron Bridge Company of Canton, Ohio. 2 It was the first iron bridge in the county. 1
The bridge once connected Hornbrook, which developed along the east bank of Fish Creek around 1780, to Woodland. 1 The first families to settle were the Baker and Yoho families, followed by the Hornbrook family and others. During the early 19th century, the Hornbrook family built a mill.
John Hornbrook constructed the first school in the village and served as its first teacher. 1 A second school was later constructed, and a third was built in 1917, which remained in use until 1976.
In 1882, the county court ordered construction of a bridge across Fish Creek at Hornbrook. 1 Completed at a cost of $15,000, voters feared that the bridge would bring upon financial ruin for the county. The bridge remained in service until 1984.
A store and post office was established by G.F. Gray and one of the Gatts family members in Hornbrook in 1886. 1 When the postal service appointed Gray as postmaster, they named the post office Graysville.