The Girard Point Bridge carries Interstate 95 over the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Overseen by the American Bridge Company, 6 the Girard Point Bridge was constructed between 1969 and 1973. In June 1969, the Pennsylvania Department of Highways (DOH) awarded a $33.2 million contract to U.S. Steel of Pittsburgh for the fabrication of the superstructure of the Girard Point Bridge, the largest contract awarded by the DOH at the time. 2 4 It also awarded an $11.2 million contract to build the 33-span north approach to Acchione & Canuso and Neshaminy Constructor. 4 A $11.2 million contract to build the south approach was awarded to Buckley & Company in April 1972. 3
The new 1.77-mile Girard Point Bridge was completed in 1973 10 at the cost of $42.6 million. 2 11 It did not open to traffic until April 1, 1976, as Interstate 95 connecting to the river crossing had not been completed. 10 11 Bridge traffic terminated at temporary ramps. 11 The double-level bridge was the second-largest of its type in the nation 2 and it represented the largest single project in DOH’s history. 6
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation undertook a $7.8 million renovation project between September 2004 and the fall of 2005 that involved the replacement of the bridge’s floor beams, expansion joints, and some structural steel, and the restoration of the bridge deck, among other miscellaneous items. 8 9 A more extensive $71 million project was undertaken between 2010-12 that involved painting all structural steel, repaving the bridge deck, and replacing expansion joints. 1 The crossing may be tolled in the future to pay for future work of the bridge, which includes substructure work and additional steel repairs. 7
- State: Pennsylvania
- Route: Interstate 95
- Type: Warren Through Truss
- Status: Active - Automobile
- Total Length: 5,167 feet
- Main Span Length: 700 feet
- Deck Width: 96 feet
- “FAQ.” Revive95, 2011.
- “Schuylkill Bridge $33 Million Contract Awarded U.S. Steel.” Gazette and Daily [York], 30 Aug. 1969, p. 28.
- “PennDOT Opens Bids on 26 State Projects.” Indiana Gazette, 28 Aug. 1972, p. 19.
- “Bids Opened on Highway Construction.” Leader-Times [Kittanning], 28 Jun. 1969, p. 13.
- “Wapwallopen Project Bids are Due Friday.” Standard-Speaker [Hazelton], 25 Jun. 1969, p. 15.
- “Second Largest.” Delaware County Daily Times [Chester], 21 Oct. 1969, p. 12.
- “PennDOT Eyes Tolls To Fund Work On Girard Point Bridge, Eight Other Interstate Bridges.” CBS3, 18 Feb. 2021.
- Anderson, Steve. “Delaware Expressway.” Eastern Roads.
- Kitsko, Jeffrey. “Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway.” Pennsylvania Highways, 3 May 2021.
- “Girard Point Bridge opening good news.” Delaware County Daily Times [Chester], 2 Apr. 1976, p. 6.
- “Girard Point Bridge to Open.” Philadelphia Daily News, 31 Mar. 1976, p. 6.