The abandoned Johns Run Bridge carried the Eastern Kentucky Railroad (EK) and later KY Route 1 over Johns Run in Carter County, Kentucky.
Johns Run Bridge, a Pratt through truss, was constructed in 1880 by the B&O Mount Clare Bridge Shop in Baltimore, Maryland for the Eastern Kentucky Railway. 1 It replaced a simpler structure when the EK was extended south from Grayson to Willard. The EK went bankrupt in 1919 and the portion between Grayson and Webbville was reorganized as the Eastern Kentucky Southern Railway (EKS) in 1928. The EKS ceased operations altogether in January 1933.
Most of the alignment between Grayson and Willard became part of KY Route 1 and KY Route 773, which included the reuse of the bridge over Johns Run. It was bypassed in 1961 and later abandoned.
- State: Kentucky
- Route: Eastern Kentucky Railroad, KY Route 1
- Type: Pratt Through Truss
- Status: Abandoned / Closed
- “Eastern Kentucky Railway.” Eastern Kentucky Railway. N.p., 2008. Web. 13 Feb. 2014. Article.