Chapline Hill Tunnel is a tunnel along the former Wheeling Terminal Railway under Chapline Hill in Wheeling, West Virginia.
The Wheeling Terminal Railway (WT) is a former 9½ mile railroad between Martins Ferry, Ohio and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad (B&O) at 27th Street in Wheeling. The initial WT line was completed in 1891 and a 2.20 mile extension from the B&O to the Riverside Iron Works, including a 2,478 feet tunnel under Chapline Hill, was constructed by May 1895.2 The line was then extended .38 miles south to 9th Street Benwood by November 1896.
In January 1921, the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) took over operations of the WT.3
In 1938, the last passenger train crossed the Ohio River bridge and tunnels and was last used by a freight train in 1982.1