Mt. Wood Tunnels (Wheeling Terminal Railway)
The Mt. Wood Tunnels is comprised of two tunnels along the former Wheeling Terminal Railway under Mt. Wood in Wheeling, West Virginia.
The Wheeling Terminal Railway (WT) is a former 9½ mile railroad between Martins Ferry, Ohio and Wheeling. The tunnels, at 587 feet and 1,226 feet, were constructed between 1888 and 1891 and connected the Ohio River and the Wheeling Creek bridges.1 3 5 The Mt. Hood tunnels were partially rebuilt in 1904.4 In January 1921, the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) took over operations of the WT.5
In 1938, the last passenger train crossed the Ohio River bridge and tunnels and was last used by a freight train in 1982.2