Tunnel No. 6 is an abandoned tunnel along the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad’s Wheeling-Pittsburgh Subdivision west of Washington, Pennsylvania.
The tunnel was constructed as part of the Hempfield Railroad, chartered on May 15, 1850 1 as part of the line that was projected to run from Wheeling east to Greensburg, Pennsylvania. 2 The railroad was only completed from Wheeling east to Washington by 1857, which included Tunnel No. 6. 1 The Hempfield was acquired by the B&O on May 1, 1871 1 and reorganized as the Wheeling, Pittsburg & Baltimore Railroad on May 3. 3 The Hempfield was sold at foreclosure in February 1857 and reorganized as the Wheeling, Pittsburgh & Baltimore Railroad (WP&B) on January 15, 1872.
In November 1985, the B&O made the decision to abandon the Wheeling-Pittsburgh Subdivision west of Washington to Wheeling.