Skip to content

Milroy Covered Bridge

The Milroy Covered Bridge, also known as the Shelhorn Covered Bridge, carries a local roadway within the Lake County Fairgrounds in Crown Point, Indiana.


The Milroy Covered Bridge, also known as the Shelhorn Covered Bridge, carries a local roadway within the Lake County Fairgrounds in Crown Point, Indiana.

The bridge was built in 1878 by Archibald M. Kennedy near the Fred Shelhorn farm near Milroy in Rush County, where it crossed the Little Flatrock River. 1 3 On January 16, 1931, an attempt was made to burn the bridge, but the fire was extinguished before it caused more than minor damage. 1 2

In 1933, Lake County purchased the bridge for $25 and moved it to Crown Point, where it was re-erected over a gully at the Lake County Fairgrounds, where it still stands today. 1 3 4 The preservation effort was led by Col. John W. Wheeler, son of Crown Point’s first mayor, who oversaw the dismantling, relocation, and reconstruction of the structure. 4 The bridge at its original site had been replaced by a newer crossing built by the Indiana State Highway Commission as part of State Road 3.

Milroy Covered Bridge in 1941
Milroy Covered Bridge in 1941. Credit: Indiana Historical Society.

Restoration of the bridge in later years was funded in part by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources through the Lake Michigan Coastal Program. 4


Gallery


Details

  • State: Indiana
  • Route: Private
  • Status: Active (Automobile)
  • Type: Covered Burr truss
  • Total Length: 85'
  • Deck Width: 16'
  • Vertical Navigational Clearance: 14'

Sources

  1. 1. Caswell, Bill. “Shelhorn or Milroy, Rush County.” Covered Spans of Yesteryear, 2024.
  2. Rushville Republican, January 21, 1931, p.1.
  3. Rushville Republican, June 15, 1933, p.1.
  4. Signage.

Leave a Reply