In Westchester County, New York, three notable bridges span the New Croton Reservoir.
The Gate House Bridge, which was built by the American Bridge Company between 1903 and 1905, supports a local connecting route in Yorktown Heights. It traverses the original Croton Dam, which was submerged in 1905, and is located upstream from the circa 1852 crossing.
Near the Gate House Bridge are the twin bridges for the Taconic State Parkway, whose creation was initiated by Franklin D. Roosevelt, Chair of the Taconic State Park Commission, in 1925. At the heart of the parkway’s development was the construction of a bridge over the New Croton Reservoir, which was completed in 1931. The steel through arch was notable for its three-hinge design, necessitated by the potential for some settlement on the north abutment. At the time of its completion, the bridge was the longest of its kind, featuring a main span of 750 feet. In 1970, a Warren deck truss was added for southbound traffic to accompany the crossing.