Guilford Covered Bridge
The Guilford Covered Bridge is located in Guilford, Dearborn County, Indiana, and crosses East Fork Tanners Creek in the Guilford Covered Bridge Park. It once carried York Ridge Road.
Constructed in 1879 by Archibald M. Kennedy & Sons of Rushville, the Burr arch-truss featured a wood block surface, one of three in the state.1 The covered bridge was reinforced with additional supports in the early 1900’s due to heavier loads brought on with Guilford’s rise in industrial importance, notably from the coal mines.2 In 1960, the span was relocated to a newly-formed park when the bridge over the creek was replaced. It was damaged by arson in 1993, and subsequently rehabilitated in 1997 by L. L. Brown Co. and the Amos Schwartz Co. Renovations included a sprinkler system.1 2