Bennett’s Mill Covered Bridge is a covered Wheeler truss bridge in Greenup County, Kentucky. It is the only bridge of its type in existence.
Bennett’s Mill Covered Bridge is a covered Wheeler truss bridge in Greenup County, Kentucky. It is the only bridge of its type in existence. 1 4
In 1855, Benjamin F. Bennett and William P. Bennett established a saw and grist mill along Tygart’s Creek and constructed a bridge over the stream. 5 A covered Wheeler truss bridge was constructed in 1874, which featured yellow pine timbers, poplar siding, a white oak shingled roof, and a solid oak floor. 3 The Wheeler truss had been patented in 1870 by Isaac H. Wheeler of Scioto County, Ohio, and while the design never caught on, it was used in several crossings in the region. 5
Bennett’s Mill Covered Bridge was repaired in 1915 when the roof and siding were replaced. 5 It was rehabilitated again in 1954 by Louis Bower of the Bower Bridge Company and was painted in green and white, a Bower trademark.
The crossing was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975 and repaired in 1976 after an overloaded vehicle damaged the structure.
The Federal Highway Administration awarded $600,000 towards the restoration of the Bennett’s Mill Covered Bridge in 2000. 6 The crossing was closed to traffic in 2001 and was rehabilitated between 20002 and fall 2003. 5 Only 15% of the original wood used in the original span was salvaged. 2
- State: Kentucky
- Type: Covered Wheeler Truss
- Status: Active - Automobile
- Total Length: 171.5 feet
- Main Span Length: 153.5 feet
- Deck Width: 20 feet
- Roadway Width: 16 feet
- Above Vertical Clearance: 16 feet
- ‘Bennetts Mill Bridge.’ University of Kentucky. April 20, 2007Article.
- Hultgren, John. ‘Bennett’s Mill Covered Bridge.’ October 14, 2004. April 20, 2007 Article.
- ‘Kentucky’s Covered Bridges.’ Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives July 1, 2005. April 20, 2007 Article.
- “Wooden wonders.” Kentucky Post, October 30, 1996. July 19, 2007.
- Bennett, :p;a. Bennett’s Mill Bridge. Research rept. no. HAER KY-49. Washington: National Park Service, 2003. Print.