The Blaine Hill Viaduct carries US 40 over Wheeling Creek in Blaine, Ohio.
Designed by David Henry Overman, who designed many other spans in the state, 1 the open-spandrel arch Blaine Hill Viaduct was built between 1932-33. 2 3 It replaced the overburdened Blaine Hill “S” Bridge, which at the time was carrying over 2,700 vehicles per day. 3
After World War II, the bridge was renamed to the Arches of Memory and dedicated to its veterans.1 2
Interstate 70’s completion nearby in 1964 diverted much of US Route 40’s traffic to the expressway. 3 The viaduct was rehabilitated in 1982 1 and rededicated by the local American Legion and Belmont County Council. 2
The Blaine Hill Viaduct was extensively renovated in 2011, which included painting the concrete a cream-white color, rebuilding the bridge railings, installing a new bridge deck, and other general repairs.
- State: Ohio
- Route: US Route 40
- Type: Open Spandrel Arch
- Status: Active - Automobile
- Total Length: 754 feet
- Main Span Length: 133 feet
- “Blaine Hill Viaduct.” HistoricBridges.org. N.p., June 2010. Web. 28 Aug. 2011. Article.
- Bridge plaque.
- “Marker #11-7 Blaine Hill ‘S’ Bridge / Blaine Hill Viaduct.” Remarkable Ohio. Ohio Historical Society, 11 Jan. 2009. Web. 28 Aug. 2011.
- “Blaine Hill Viaduct.” BridgeMapper. N.p., June 2010. Web. 28 Aug. 2011. Article.