The Bridgeport Bridge carries pedestrians and cyclists over the Cass River in Bridgeport, Michigan. Formerly carrying State Street, the Pratt through truss was built in 1906 by the Joliet Bridge & Iron Company of Joliet, Illinois.
Originally carrying State Street, the Pratt through truss was built in 1906 by the Joliet Bridge & Iron Company of Joliet, Illinois. It cost $7,995 and was paid off with tolls by 1913. 3 The crossing was closed to automobiles in 1976, although it remained open to pedestrians. 2
The bridge underwent restoration beginning in January 2010. 1 The $2.3 million project was funded from a $1.5 million federal Transportation Enhancement Program grant, $430,000 in state transportation funds, $350,000 in funds from Bridgeport Township’s Downtown Development Authority, and $100,000 from Bridgeport Township. 2 Work involved dismantling the structure, shipping it to Bach Ornamental and Structural Steel for refurbishment, and sending it back to be reassembled on site. 1 A pier was also rebuilt, which was rotating and in danger of collapsing the superstructure.
As of 2016, it is one of six surviving late 19th century and early 20th-century multi-span through truss highway bridges remaining in the state. 1 It is one of two examples in the state manufactured by the Joliet Bridge and Iron Company.
- State: Michigan
- Route: Unknown
- Type: Pratt Through Truss
- Status: Active - Pedestrian
- Total Length: 331 feet
- Main Span Length: 124 feet
- Deck Width: 14 feet