The Cabin Creek Covered Bridge, a covered multiple Kingpost through truss, crosses over Cabin Creek in Rectorville in Lewis County, Kentucky.
The Cabin Creek Covered Bridge, a covered multiple Kingpost through truss, crosses over Cabin Creek in Rectorville in Lewis County, Kentucky. It is also known as the Rectorville Bridge or the Mackey-Hughes Bridge. 1 2
The crossing was built in 1873 and was modified with the addition of arches and tension rods by the Bower Bridge Company in 1914. 1 2 7 Structural repairs were completed in 1964, 5 followed by the addition of a structural steel buttress in 1978. 3 In 1981, a concrete face was poured unmortared stones on the east abutment to prevent further deterioration, and three concrete pillars were poured about ten feet from the east abutment to support an I-beam to stop a lean. 7
The covered bridge was closed to vehicular traffic in 1983 after a bypass opened. 1 2 7 Flooding along the creek damaged the covered bridge in 2008, 5 and the crossing was closed to pedestrians in July. 6
The National Historic Covered Bridge Preservation Program awarded $500,000 for the stabilization and restoration of the Cabin Creek bridge in 2008, 5 and approximately half of the funding was used to stabilize the bridge in the spring of 2009 with a steel reinforcement system that had been used for the Johnson Creek Covered Bridge. 1 4 The remaining money was to be used for restoration, which has been estimated to cost one million dollars. The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC), the Department of Parks and the Heritage Council worked to secure funding for a complete restoration, and in September 2010, approximately $1 million was allocated from KYTC’s Transportation Enhancement Funds.
- State: Kentucky
- Route: n/a
- Type: Covered Kingpost Truss
- Status: Active - Pedestrian
- Total Length: 114 feet
- Deck Width: 17 feet
- Total Height: 12 feet
- Navigational Clearance:
- Maynard, Misty. “‘Hope springs eternal’ for Cabin Creek Covered Bridge.” Ledger Independent [Maysville] 24 Jan. 2011: n. pag. Web. 8 July 2011. Article.
- “Cabin Creek Bridge .” Kentucky Atlas and Gazetter. University of Kentucky, n.d. Web. 8 July 2011. Article.
- “Cabin Creek Bridge.” Bridge Hunter. Web. 8 July 2011.Article.
- Charles, Melinda. “‘Cabin Creek bridge restoration to resume.”Ledger Independent [Maysville] 4 June 2010: n. pag. Web. 8 July 2011. Article.
- Arthur, Michael. “‘Cabin Creek bridge restoration on hiatus.”Ledger Independent [Maysville] 22 Apr. 2009: n. pag. Web. 8 July 2011. Article.
- Arthur, Michael. “‘Cabin Creek bridge getting support from Johnson Creek project.” Ledger Independent [Maysville] 18 Nov. 2008: n. pag. Web. 8 July 2011. Article.
- White, Vernon. Covered Bridges: Focus on Kentucky. Kentucke Imprints, 1985, pp. 89-94.