The Canal/Kelly Road Bridge is a half-closed Parker through truss along Canal Road over the Shenango River in Sharpsville, Pennsylvania.
The Canal Road Bridge is adjacent to the Sharpsville Area Recreation Park and near the site of Lock No. 10 of the Erie Canal Extension, now abandoned. The original Canal Road Bridge is one of 15 pin-connected Parker through trusses in the state, three of which date before 1900. 2
The single-lane through truss was constructed by the Penn Bridge Company of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania in 1897. 1 An adjoining two-span steel beam bridge, constructed circa 1960, was added for southbound traffic. 2 The original crossing was modified to handle northbound traffic.
A single replacement crossing for both bridges is in the planning stages. 2
- State: Pennsylvania
- Route: Canal/Kelly Road
- Type: Parker Through Truss
- Status: Abandoned / Closed
- Total Length: 187 feet (1897); 152 feet (1960)
- Main Span Length: 75 feet (1960)
- Deck Width: 19 feet (1897); 16 feet (1960)
- Bridge plaque.
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation. PennDOT Above Ground Historic Properties Field Assessment and Finding. Report no. 2010-8062-085, 16 Mar. 2010.