The Consolidated Road Underpass for the Norfolk Southern Railroad is located in Preble County, Ohio south of Eaton.
The stone underpass was constructed in 1880 for the Eaton & Hamilton Railroad (E&H), later the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad (CH&D), Conrail, and then Norfolk Southern. Chartered on February 8, 1847, E&H proposed to construct a line from the Richmond & Miami Railroad at Eaton southeast towards the CH&D north of Hamilton. The E&H used trackage rights into the city and south to New Miami, and the E&H was opened to Eaton on July 1, 1852. On April 30, 1866, the E&H reorganized as the Cincinnati, Richmond & Chicago Railroad (CR&C) under the control of the CH&D.
The CR&C became part of the Pennsylvania Railroad’s Pittsburgh, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad, eventually just becoming the Pennsylvania Railroad’s New Castle District of the Lake Division (PRR). 1 The PRR was eventually sold to the Norfolk & Western, which became the Norfolk Southern New Castle District.
- State: Ohio
- Route: Norfolk Southern Railway
- Type: Tunnel
- Status: Active - Railroad
- Jakucyk, Jeffrey. “Pennsylvania Railroad/Norfolk & Western to Ft. Wayne, IN – Norfolk Southern, Newcastle District.” Cincinnati Traction History. N.p., n.d. 18 May 2012. Web. Article.