Fort Henry Bridge

Fort Henry Bridge

The Fort Henry Bridge carries Interstate 70 and US Routes 40 and 250 over the main channel of the Ohio River in Wheeling, West Virginia.


History

Originally named the Ninth Street Bridge, 3 the Fort Henry Bridge was proposed to relieve traffic on the Wheeling Suspension Bridge and the Ohio Street Bridge. 1 2 Designed by Howard, Needles, Tammen, and Bergendoff, 7 contracts to build the four-lane crossing were let to the American Bridge Company 4 and the Dravo Corporation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 5

It took four years and $6.8 million, or $1.8 million over budget, to construct the Fort Henry Bridge. 5 Dedicated by Governor William C. Marland in front of a crowd of 60,000 people, it opened to traffic on September 8, 1955. 1 6 7 At the time of completion, the bridge was only the second tied arch over the Ohio River. 7

The Fort Henry Bridge carried four lanes of US Routes 40 and 250 from Wheeling Island to downtown Wheeling over the main channel of the Ohio River. 1 2 Plans to add an Interstate Highway designation to the crossing were formed in 1957, and the Interstate 70 was added by 1966 when the Wheeling Tunnel opened. 8

The bridge deck was replaced in 1990.


Gallery


Information

  • State: West Virginia
  • Route: Interstate 70, US Route 40, US Route 250
  • Type: Steel Arch
  • Status: Active - Automobile
  • Total Length: 1,660 feet
  • Main Span Length: 577 feet
  • Deck Width: 53 feet

Sources

  1. “$6.8 Million Bridge to Open at Wheeling”. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, 8 Sept. 1955, p. 2.
  2. “Historic National Road – West Virginia: Driving Directions.” America’s Byways, 8 May 2009.
  3. Carney, William A. and Brent Carney. Wheeling. Arcadia Publishing, Nov. 2003, p. 44.
  4. “Dizzy Photos.” Pittsburgh Press, 3 Oct. 1954, p. 8.
  5. “Dravo Firm Low on Wheeling Span Piers.” Portsmouth Times, 2 Aug. 1951, p. 14.
  6. “New River Bridge at Wheeling Open.” Toledo Blade, 9 Sept.1955. p. 6.
  7. Holth, Nathan. “Fort Henry Bridge.” HistoricBridges.org, 1 Aug. 2010.
  8. “New Tunnel at Wheeling Opens.” Washington Observer, 12 Dec. 1966. p. 1

Leave a Reply