The Harpursville Railroad Bridge was erected over Susquehanna River on the Delaware & Hudson Railroad in Harpursville, New York.
The Jefferson Railroad, chartered in 1864 with the goal of constructing a line between Carbondale, Pennsylvania . 1 The line was financed and constructed by the Erie Railroad in 1869-72. The Delaware & Hudson Railway (D&H) gained trackage rights over the route as an important through connection to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, later becoming part of their Penn Division.
The bridge over the Susquehanna River was replaced in 1908 with a three-span Pratt through truss.
In the early 1980s, the D&H purchased the former Erie Lackawanna Scranton to Binghamton mainline and diverted all through traffic off of the Penn Division between Carbondale and Lanesboro in 1982. 1 The remainder of the Penn Division from Lanesboro to Nineveh, New York, was used for over-height vehicles, typically from General Electric in Schenectady to the Erie at Lanesboro. The bridge was abandoned after the Belden Hill Tunnel was enlarged on the D&H line between Binghamton and Schenectady was enlarged to accommodate double-stack containers and the over-height shipments in 1986.
- State: New York
- Route: Delaware & Hudson Railway
- Type: Pratt Through Truss
- Status: Abandoned / Closed