The Johnsville Bridge carried US Route 42 over the Cedar Fork Mohican River in Johnsville, Ohio.
Johnsville was laid out by John Ely and William H. Shauck on December 17, 1834, and was initially named after Ely. 2 The post office was named after Shauck, who had it established circa 1825 from his residence. 1 2
One of the first mills in the county, built by Ely and Shauck in 1830, was located along the river. 2 The grist and sawmill also included two employee residences, a church, and a covered bridge along Mount Gilead-Lexington Road (later US Route 42).
The Mount Gilead-Lexington Road was first surveyed in 1812 between Delaware and Mansfield, but the route had been established years previous by other parties. 3 Another survey was conducted in 1817 and it became a mail route in 1820.
The covered bridge was replaced with a Pratt through truss in 1900. 5 The north approach was rebuilt in 1924 by Cohains Girkins. 4 The Johnsville Bridge was bypassed in 1950-51 when US Route 42 was realigned. 6
After years of abandonment, the Johnsville Bridge is scheduled for demolition in 2017. 5
- State: Ohio
- Route: US Route 42
- Type: Pratt Through Truss
- Status: Abandoned / Closed
- Main Span Length: 89 feet
- Deck Width: 13.9 feet
- Navigational Clearance:
- Baughman, A. J. “Johnsville.” History of Morrow County, Ohio, vol. 1, Chicago, Lewis Publishing, 1911, pp. 429-30.
- Perrin, William Henry and J. H. Battle. History of Morrow County and Ohio, Chicago, O.L. Baskin, 1880, pp. 486-489.
- Perrin, William Henry and J. H. Battle. History of Morrow County and Ohio, Chicago, O.L. Baskin, 1880, pp. 383.
- ODOT DESIGN BUILD SCOPE OF SERVICES OHIO BRIDGE PARTNERSHIP PROGRAM. Report no. 97552, Ohio Department of Transportation, 20 Oct. 2016.
- “State Awards 2 Highway Contracts.” News-Journal [Mansfield], 23 Aug. 1950, p. 8.