The Laurel Gorge Bridge is located on a former alignment of KY Route 7 over the Little Sandy River near Sandy Hook, Kentucky.
The Laurel Gorge Bridge, a Parker through truss, was constructed in 1930 as part of a project to construct a hard surfaced highway between Sandy Hook and Morehead. The substructure and approaches were built by the James Hughes Construction Company of Ravenna at the cost of $16,535, while the steel superstructure was awarded to the Vincennes Bridge Company of Indiana at the cost of $16,250. 2 Upon opening, the bridge was designated for KY Routes 7 and 32.
The Laurel Gorge Bridge was bypassed with a high-level girder structure in May 1999, with the old alignment re-designated as County Route 1206. In later years, the bridge was closed to through traffic because of structural deterioration, although it continued to serve as a conduit for local utilities. 1
Work began in May 2021 by Intech Contracting LLC to rehabilitate the circa 1930 Laurel Gorge Bridge to allow it to reopen to traffic. 1 The $989,000 project, funded through Kentucky Transportation Cabinet’s Bridging Kentucky program, included adding splice or reinforcement plates, replacing rivets, strengthening steel beams, guardrail replacement, new expansion joints, and a fresh coat of paint. Upon its reopening in early autumn, the Laurel Gorge Bridge’s weight limit was increased to 15 tons.
- State: Kentucky
- Route: County Route 1206
- Type: Parker Through Truss
- Status: Active - Automobile
- Total Length: 208 feet
- Main Span Length: 184 feet
- Deck Width: 21 feet
- Roadway Width: 20 feet
- Above Vertical Clearance: 16.40 feet
- “$989,000 awarded to Elliott County to restore and reopen Old Laurel Gorge Bridge.” The Lane Report. 29 May 2021.
- “Bridge Contracts Let.” Courier-Journal, 6 Aug. 1930, p. 4.