The massive Martins Creek Viaduct carries the Canadian Pacific Railway over Martins Creek in Nicholson, Pennsylvania. The arch bridge was constructed for the Delaware Lackawanna & Western Railroad along the famed Nicholson Cutoff.
The Leggett’s Gap Railroad, incorporated in April 1832, was intended to connect Scranton, Pennsylvania with New York. 1 The company, dormant for years, was eventually chartered in March 1849 and organized in January 1850. Construction on a line from Scranton to a connection with the New York & Erie Rail Road at Great Bend, just south of the New York state line, began shortly after.
The railroad’s name was changed to the Lackawanna & Western Railroad (L&W) in April 1851, and the railroad opened on December 20. 1 From Great Bend, the L&W utilized trackage rights north and west over the New York & Erie Rail Road to Owego where it leased the Cayuga & Susquehanna Railroad to Cayuga Lake at Ithaca.
The Delaware & Cobb’s Gap Railroad (D&CG), incorporated in 1849 and chartered in December 1850, was built between Scranton through the Pocono Mountains to the Delaware River where it interchanged with the Warren Railroad. 1 Before it opened, the D&CG and L&W were consolidated by the Lackawanna Steel Company to form the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad (DL&W) in April 1853.
The consolidation of the railroads into the DL&W was to find outlets to the north and east for the vast deposits of anthracite coal in the Lackawanna and Wyoming Valleys, along with developing industrial centers where both coal and iron ore could be supplied by the DL&W. 1
The DL&W, choked with traffic from booming coal and general merchandise shipments, sought to improve track speed and timetables by constructing two “Air Line” improvements: the New Jersey Cutoff and the Nicholson Cutoff. The Nicholson Cutoff was proposed to bypass the hilly and winding alignment between Clarks Summit and Hallstead 2 and provide a low-grade double-track line with no at-grade crossings between Scranton and Binghamton. It would be just 3.6 miles shorter but save 21 minutes of passenger train time and one hour of freight train time.
Work began on the Nicholson Cutoff in May 1912. 2 One of the components of the new alignment was a viaduct over Martins Creek. The massive open-spandrel concrete bridge was constructed by F.M. Talbot Construction of New York City and opened to railroad traffic on November 6, 1915. 3 4
With the decline of anthracite coal production and usage by the 1960s, traffic on the DL&W declined. The railroad was merged with the Erie to form the Erie Lackawanna (EL) in 1960, which was conveyed to Conrail in 1976, Norfolk Southern in 1997, and Canadian Pacific in 2015.
- State: Pennsylvania
- Route: Canadian Pacific Railway
- Type: Open Spandrel Arch, Concrete Arch
- Status: Active - Railroad
- Total Length: 1,611 feet
- Main Span Length: 150 feet
- Seven 150-foot arch spans
- Two 100-foot arch spans
- Two 50-foot arch spans
- Height: 150 feet