The Rockport Bridge carries US Route 62 across the Green River in Rockport, Kentucky.
The first ferry crossed the Green River at Rockport circa 1890. 5 After US Route 62 was designated in Kentucky in 1930, improvements were sought to the important Jackson Purchase region connector which included the replacement of the ferry with a fixed crossing.
Bids for the construction of the Rockport Bridge were originally opened in October 1938, but some matters affecting the wage scale could not be remedied in time 3 and new bids were ordered on November 16. 2 Construction began in March 1939, 7 with substructure work being completed by Spencer & Ross Inc. of Detroit while the superstructure was erected by the Bethlehem Steel Company of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. 1
The Rockport Bridge was opened to traffic on September 16, 1940, 5 8 and dedicated on October 18. 4 6 Governor Keen Johnson spoke at the dedication ceremonies, which also included festivities and live music from bands from Princeton, Beaver Dam, and Central City. 6
The structure cost $572,823 to construct, 8 although the price tag was offset from a grant of $210,576 from the federal Works Progress Administration. 3 6 Tolls were collected until the construction bonds were retired on July 31, 1948. 8
- State: Kentucky
- Route: US Route 62
- Type: Warren Through Truss
- Status: Active - Automobile
- Total Length: 1,840 feet
- Main Span Length: 300 feet
- Deck Width: 22 feet
- Above Vertical Clearance: 14.1 feet
- “Livermore and Rockport Bridges Over Green River To Be Completed By Spring.” Owensboro Messenger, 22 Oct. 1939, p. 2-1.
- “Bids for Work on Rockport Bridge to be Opened Nov. 16.” Messenger-Inquirer [Owensboro], 30 Oct. 1938, p. 1.
- “Kentucky Plans Construction of Three Spans.” Owensboro Messenger, 27 Oct. 1938, p. 4.
- “Dedication Date.” Messenger-Inquirer [Owensboro[, 25 Sept. 1940, p. 14.
- “Rockport Bridge Over Green River Is Opened.” Owensboro Messenger, 17 Sept. 1940, p. 9.
- Daniel, W. E. “Governor Keen Johnson Speaks As Throng Sees Ribbon Cut on Newest Span Across Green River.” Messenger-Inquirer [Owensboro], 22 Oct. 1940, p. 10.
- “Bids Made on Livermore Span.” Messenger-Inquirer [Owensboro], 24 Feb. 1939, p. 4.
- “State Will Free Rockport Bridge Of Tolls July 31.” Dawson Springs Progress, 16 Jul. 1948, p. 1.