The historic Singing Bridge carries St. Clair Street across the Kentucky River in Frankfort, Kentucky.
In 1810, the Frankfort Bridge Company was chartered by the city of Frankfort to construct a bridge to connect the central part of the city to emerging developments on the south side of the Kentucky River. 1 The first fixed crossing was completed in 1816 at the cost of $25,000. A flood in July 1834 caused the span to collapse and its replacement, completed in December 1835, collapsed just eight days after reopening, killing two pedestrians.
A double-width covered bridge opened in 1847. 1 It was replaced in 1893 with a stronger iron Pennsylvania through truss. Constructed by the King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio, it carried streetcars, horse-drawn buggies, and pedestrians over the river. It was nicknamed the “Singing Bridge” for the sound tires made over the metal grate roadway deck.
The Singing Bridge was designated a part of US Route 60 between 1926 and 1938. Lighting on the bridge was overhauled in 1992 thanks to a grant by the Kentucky Bicentennial Commission. 1 The superstructure was rehabilitated in 1956 and again in 2010.
- State: Kentucky
- Route: St. Clair Street
- Type: Pennsylvania Through Truss
- Status: Active - Automobile
- Total Length: 405 feet
- Deck Width: 24 feet
- Above Vertical Clearance: 20 feet
- Navigational Clearance:
- Historic bridge plaque.