The Standardsburg Bridge carries Standardsburg Road over the West Branch Huron River in Huron County, Ohio.
Designed by Standard Engineering & Contracting Company of Toledo and constructed in 1926 1 by the Pan American Bridge Company of New Castle, Indiana, the Standardsburg Bridge featured a single Warren through truss span.
In 1994, the roadway deck and lattice guardrails were replaced in a renovation project.
By the dawn of the 21st century, the Standardsburg Bridge had structurally deteriorated and required a reduction in the weight limit. 1 County Engineer Wade Harvey recognized the possibility of saving the bridge and performed an initial load rating analysis and evaluated alternate floor systems with options to lighten the floor loads, and methods to strengthen or replace the steel members so that the crossing so that weight limits could be eliminated.
In December 2011, rehabilitation work on the bridge was begun by Mid-Ohio Structures LLC which consisted of dismantling the truss, removing the rivets, and shipping it to a fabricator where deteriorated truss members were rehabbed or replaced. 1 All steel members were then cleaned and galvanized, shipped back to the site, and reassembled. Work also involved the replacement of the pin rocker bearings with new elastomeric bearing pads, a waterproofed wood floor system with an asphalt surface, and new bridge railings.
The rehabilitated Standardsburg Bridge was reopened to traffic in November 2012, and the crossing was dedicated to Wade Harvey in a ceremony on July 30, 2013. 1 Harvey succumbed to cancer on September 5, 2010.
- State: Ohio
- Route: Standardsburg Road
- Type: Warren Through Truss
- Status: Active - Automobile
- Total Length: 128 feet
- Deck Width: 20 feet
- Above Vertical Clearance: 18.3 feet
- Navigational Clearance:
- “Standardsburg Road Bridge.” MS Consultants.