The abandoned Stone Creek Tunnel is located along the former Cleveland & Marietta Railway south of Stone Creek, Ohio.
The C&M’s earliest predecessor is the Marietta & Pittsburg Railroad, formed to connect Marietta and Dennison 4 on September 29, 1868. 2 The mainline was constructed from Marietta north to Macksburg in 1871, and to Newcomerstown and Canal Dover (Dover) in June 1874, which included the boring of the Stone Creek Tunnel. 2 6 On December 7, 1873, the company was reorganized to the Marietta, Pittsburg & Cleveland Railway. 2 It was put into receivership on August 5, 1875, reincorporating as the Cleveland & Marietta Railroad (C&M) on May 29, 1879. The C&M made an arrangement in September 1882 to use the Cleveland & Pittsburgh Railroad (C&P) from Canal Dover to Zoar. 1 The railroad was quitclaimed in April 1883; one-third was allocated to the Junction & Terminal property at Valley Junction while two-thirds went to the W&LE; 2 the entirely of the C&M was then operated as a branch of the W&LE. 1
The railroad was once again in receivership on February 2, 1885, where it was reorganized as the Cleveland & Marietta Railway (C&M) on July 2, 1886. 2 The C&M eventually became a part of the Pennsylvania Railroad’s Marietta Branch (PRR). In 1968, the PRR merged with the New York Central (NYC) to form the Penn Central Railroad (PC), 3 which became a part of Conrail on May 1, 1976.
Conrail elected not to utilize PC’s Marietta to Dover alignment, and the route, including the Stone Creek Tunnel, was abandoned.
- State: Ohio
- Type: Tunnel
- Navigational Clearance:
- Titchenal, Stephen. Wheeling & Lake Erie Railroad History. N.p.: n.p., 2014. Print.
- “Cleveland and Marietta Railway Company.” Ohio Railway Report 1860’s History. Web. 22 Feb. 2016.
- “History of the Byesville Scenic Railway.” Byesville Scenic Railway. 2010. Web. 24 Feb. 2016. Article.
- “Photos of Yesteryear.” Byesville Scenic Railway. 2010. Web. 1 Mar. 2016. Article.