Welty’s Bridge carries Mt. Pleasant Road over Sugar Creek near Strasburg in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. The twin pin-connected Pratt through truss was constructed in 1914.
Welty’s Bridge was named after Welty’s Mill, a circa 1816 grist and sawmill. 1 The grist mill, the first in Franklin Township, was built by John Aultman who then petitioned Tuscarawas County for a road to be built from Lawrenceville to his mill, and to a state-maintained road that extended from New Philadelphia to Shanesville (now Sugarcreek).
Aultman’s son-in-law, George Welty, took over operation of the mill in 1832. 1 In 1845, Welty constructed a covered bridge over Sugar Creek at his mill, with the county paying $150 of the cost. A new covered crossing was erected in 1866 but was washed away in a flood in 1913. It was replaced with a Pratt through truss.
- State: Ohio
- Route: Mt. Pleasant Road
- Type: Pratt Through Truss
- Status: Active - Automobile
- Navigational Clearance:
- Baker, Jon. “Local History: Welty family well-known for grist mill and bridge.” Times Reporter [New Philadelphia], 29 Apr. 2013.